Monday, July 26, 2010

Summer Food

Summer's wild and elusive native strawberries!
I got my sources, people!
See how tiny they are?  They taste like the best candy in the world!

Pixie berries, I like to call them.

"I wish it is a good day today"
I had to show you this new container from Maruta Shoten that I keep the berries in.

Bought some of this purple cauliflower from the Carnation Farmers Market to use in a pasta salad.

Look at the color of this cabbage!  I used it to make my FAVORITE dish from A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg (a fabulous book!), Cream-Braised (Green) Cabbage.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about it....

Look at all these Heirloom tomatoes from Eastern Washington.  I used my own in my pasta salad this time:

These are my cherry tomatoes.  One hanging basket of red, one hanging basket of yellow.  Lovely, sweet, delicious and

ready for pasta.

Some pasta salad ingredients.  See the bright green fava beans?  This is what they look like after you pick them from the shell but before you remove the outer bean skin:

Both the beans and the cauliflower are blanched before adding them to the salad, leaving them with just the right amount of crunch.

Yellow carrots from the market are the perfect summer snack.

Blueberries

We have several bushed here, at our house, but they are a bit shaded and so aren't ripe yet.  Soon though!

These are our raspberries though.  We combined them with fruitstand ones to make jam:

We also made strawberry jam with fruitstand berries:

My jam cupboard is jam packed!

These are our currants from our bush.  They are in the freezer now until I decide what to do with them. 

Here are some Banana Pecan Chocolate Chip Muffins.  I baked them in these sweet little silver foil cups, also from Maruta Shoten:

You know how I love shiny silver things!

What delicious things are you eating or cooking?  Make sure to enjoy the bounty while its here,  while it lasts.  Can, preserve and freeze what you can so you can have a taste of summer this coming Winter.  You'll be happy you did!

Love that girl!  Hilarious!

xoxo
Jennette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for leaving a comment! I have yet to figure out how to comment back to you if you leave me a comment but i do super duper appreciate it and love comments! thanks!